Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas, the Commercial Caper

I for one am not a fan of Christmas, not because I don't like what the holiday stands for, but because of what its become. In the past few deccades christmas has become increasingly commercial, and children turn into little monsters around this time of year too (well most children, there are some good ones out there), its all christmas catalogues and what are you going to buy those little ankle biters. What happened to family? Oh i know its there still, but what happened to just being with each other?
I've become disenchanted with the whole affair, especially with the mass bought products turned presents. If I wanted to get a gift from someone, I'd want something i can use, not a tea set, or a vase.
This just tells me that others are frustrated with the entire process aswell. choosing something to buy your closest, from the pelthora of products with "buy me" or "great gift idea" attatched.
well I don't agree with it, you might like Christmas but I don't like what happens before and after. I'm the sort of person who invests a great deal of effort in the gifts I give to others, call me a bit old fashioned but i believe gifts should be able to be used for a purpose or a life time, and making a gift for someone speaks in decibles of volume greater that you care, than some tacky mass manufactured thing with a kitsch christmas card.

That said, i did enjoy my christmas with family. And i did get some useful gifts. I got a new wallet which i desperately needed, some books on cooking and some extra spending money, which will go towards savings (or if in the form of gift cards) save me money when shopping.
I do hope with my whole heart that you all had merry christmases and that you got gifts that you may not necessarily have wanted but have needed.
Best wishes for the new year
-Charles

No comments: